Choosing the right school for your child is one of the most important things a parent does. Such choices are made with both head and heart, and at BGS we want to help you to make the right decision.
About Bradford Grammar School
Northern independent school of the year –
The Sunday Times
- In 2018 123 A Level students celebrated outstanding success with 17% of all exams awarded A* and 54% A*/A grades, with around 80 percent securing their university of choice, the majority of which are the UK’s leading universities
- At GCSE, our results far exceed the national average, a record-breaking 76% of all exams taken in 2018 were awarded A/A* or 9-7 grades, well over three times higher than the national average of recent years
- BGS is the top-performing co-educational independent school in West Yorkshire for GCSE results
- ‘Fabulous sporting facilities and a winners’ ethos’ – The Guardian
- Outside the classroom sport plays a fundamental part of a broad, well-rounded education for girls and boys, building character, camaraderie and school spirit
- Arts subjects may be under threat nationally, but they are thriving at BGS where the School embraces and supports the arts through music, drama and theatre studies
Bradford Grammar School is an outstanding UK independent grammar school, which believes in providing every opportunity for its Junior and Senior students.
We embrace academic, sporting and creative excellence within an aspirational, caring environment, which builds on our heritage while looking to the future. We nurture exciting and fulfilling lives shaped by our School’s traditional values and believe happiness is the key to an individual’s success.
Our values reflect School character and mission – who we are and where we are going – and guide us. They are:
We aspire to excellence in everything we do: in academic work, sport, music, drama and all our co-curricular activities. We are committed to push ourselves to do our best.
We care for one another’s happiness and speak up if we see injustice or prejudice. We treat everyone we meet thoughtfully and as an individual. We seek out opportunities to improve and enrich the lives of others.
We always try to make the best of each situation as we go forward. We face adversity and come through it. Proud of our Yorkshire heritage, we show ‘northern grit’ by asking more of ourselves and of others. As our motto, ‘Hoc Age’ says, we ‘get on and do it’.
We embrace opportunities when we meet them and promote them for each other. We are open-minded, inclusive and ready to listen to people’s experiences and learn from them. We aim continually to develop ourselves and aspire to a future that builds on our heritage.
We recognise that we have a responsibility to share our time and talents and make a difference to the lives of others. We strive to play our role locally and nationally. We understand that by giving to others we enrich our own lives.
In accordance with our mission and values, our shared vision for Bradford Grammar School is:
- to be recognised as a model of co-educational excellence with happy, hardworking and successful students who are cared for, treated with respect and known individually
- to be known for identifying and nurturing talent, and adding significant value to every pupil academically and ‘beyond the classroom’
- to ensure that having BGS on your CV makes a difference for students, Old Bradfordians and staff such that lives are enriched and improved by virtue of having a connection with our School
- to be of value in Bradford, in Yorkshire and the wider world, and that BGS exerts a positive influence for the benefit of many
We believe that an inspiring, well-rounded education builds character and changes lives fundamentally for the better. A BGS education kindles an intellectual and emotional response from students to encourage insight and curiosity. It fosters physical and mental well-being and provides the tools and moral code to make a valuable contribution to society. A BGS education enthuses and equips young people with the enthusiasm and aspiration–as well as fortitude and resilience–to take opportunities and face challenges after school.
BGS strives to provide students with a wealth of opportunities for academic and broader development as part of a well-rounded education that equips young people with life-changing qualifications, confidence, positivity and the common good sense to thrive and make a difference.
Life at BGS is enjoyable too for students and staff alike and will generate many happy memories such that Old Bradfordians will feel connected to their school for the rest of their lives.
Spotlight on happiness